What is Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT)?
Mild hyperbaric pressure systems (mHBOT) are used for chronic systemic illnesses and neurological conditions. At Living Source our hard shell mHBOT chamber is pressurised up to 1.5ATA, or 150% of the atmospheric pressure at sea level, and delivers oxygen levels of up to 95% purity.
Evidence has shown that increased pressure decreases inflammation and any concentration of oxygen delivered in an increased pressure situation (above 1.0 ATA) will result in a higher level of oxygen being dissolved into the extracellular fluids in the body such as lymphatic, plasma, cerebrospinal and interstitial fluids.
How does mHBOT work?
Normally oxygen is transferred to red blood cells for distribution throughout the body. Under higher pressure and increased oxygen levels, the red blood cells become saturated and the oxygen then dissolves directly into other bodily fluids. This means that oxygen can be delivered deeper into the body’s tissues.
Oxygen dissolved into plasma can flow easily to peripheral cells especially to the brain, heart and eyes even in situations where the capillaries are narrow.
What are the benefits of mHBOT?
- Preventative therapy: Provides long term health benefits as a preventive therapy. When oxygen delivery is impaired, damage occurs which can result in stroke, heart attack, Alzheimer’s, cancer and dementia.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) or head injury: Wounds that occur in the white matter of the brain benefit from increased oxygen which can provide support for head injuries, including stroke, accident or dementia.
- Recovery for athletes: Helps reduce lactic acid levels, fatigue, inflammation, swelling, and recovery time. Athletes have reported increased stamina when used regularly as part of a training programme. Increased oxygen saturation can improve blood flow, and mental focus.
- Enhanced immune system function: Hyperbaric therapy can help increase stem cells, endothelial growth factors, and enhance white blood cells’ ability to fight infection.
- Collagen growth: Regular sessions can be beneficial for skin health and longevity.
- Wound healing: Increased blood flow and continuous oxygen delivered through microcirculation is essential to encourage healing and an increased resistance to infection.
- Infections: Oxygen has been shown to be preventative against wound infections, and higher rates of oxygen can result in lower infection rates.